Turning equity into action
"We regard health care as a social justice issue. It's not enough to talk about it. We are taking real action to eliminate racial inequities in care."
President and Chief Executive Officer
See problems. Share solutions. Make change.
In partnership with our members, our employer customers, our business partners, community organizations, and the medical community, we’re working to create a better health care system, for everyone.
Equity and care
We’re teaming up with the clinicians in our network to ensure equity in care. We’re building this commitment into our contracts and payment programs, and we’re creating a collaborative effort with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement to create innovative new solutions.
Equity and employer partners
We know our customers want all their employees to receive quality, affordable health care, regardless of their race, ethnicity, or neighborhood. We are making the insights from our Health Equity Report available to employers and supporting them in implementing best-in-class practices.
Equity and access
We’ve stepped up our efforts to ensure better access for all, including:
- Making our website available in Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Russian
- Launching a fully in-house Spanish-language member call center
- Working with all of our business partners to ensure that they’re measuring the equity of the services they provide and addressing any disparities in care
See the data
Our new Health Equity Report examines data from more than 1.3 million commercial Massachusetts members and identifies racial disparities in care. In line with our commitment to transparency, we're making this data available to the public. And, in partnership with the medical community, we'll use it to make meaningful change.
Partners for change
To make a lasting, sustainable impact on our communities, we’re:
- Investing in organizations that are advancing racial and social justice. In February 2021, we awarded $350,000 in new Racial Equity and Justice Grants to six nonprofits with leaders who are Black, Indigenous, or people of color. Learn more about commitment to health justice.
- Joining the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce Pacesetters program, an ambitious, collaborative initiative that seeks to close the racial wealth gap in one generation by partnering with businesses of color.
- We've made a $1 million contribution to the New Commonwealth Fund for Racial Equity and Social Justice Fund created by local Black and Brown executives.
- Creating advancement and economic opportunities in our communities through our Supplier Diversity Program. Through the program, we partner businesses with minority, women, LGBTQ, veteran, and disabled owners who bring unique experiences and perspectives to our business and support our diversity, equity and inclusion objectives. Read our Supplier Diversity Report.
Inclusivity. It’s how we work.
To ensure all our employees feel respected, included, and empowered to contribute, we’re committed to:
- Recruiting, promoting, and retaining diverse employees at all levels
- Training our leaders on best practices for managing diverse teams
- Expanding employee education on cultural competency
- Fostering a company culture where every voice is welcomed, heard, and valued.
- Honoring and observing the history of diverse populations, starting with adding Juneteenth to our company’s holiday observance calendar.
Your Privacy Is Our Priority
Our most important commitment is to you—to expanding your access to care, and to keeping your personal information confidential. The data you share with us will be used to improve health care and address inequities in care, and it will be held and protected in accordance with our privacy and security policies.