Service Day 2021
Service Day: One Community. One Blue is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts’ signature volunteer event. This year, our day of service will take place on Thursday, September 23. We are current accepting applications for nonprofit organizations who are interested in partnering with us on that date to host volunteers. The application deadline is April 30, 2021.
For Service Day 2021, we will be supporting the following types of service projects:
- In-person projects that follow COVID safety protocols including mask wearing and ability to have volunteers maintain safe social distance. Organizations may apply for either half-day (2.5-4 hours) or full day (6-7 hour) volunteer shifts that engage a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 50 volunteers per shift.
- Virtual projects that can engage up to 50 volunteers per shift of up to 3 hours. A preference for virtual projects where organizations can manage the shipping of materials required for the project to individual volunteers, or where no materials are required. Selected partners will be asked to join the volunteer groups virtually and engage volunteers in an educational component and organizational overview on September 23rd.
Eligibility: All MA- based 501(c)3 not for profit organizations are welcome to apply to host in-person projects. Any 501(C)(3) regardless of location can apply to host a virtual project.
Funding: For 2021, funding will be determined based on project size and scope. All partners will receive a minimum partnership contribution of $2,500 per half day volunteer shift, with additional funding available based on multiple volunteer shifts or full day projects, as well as the cost of materials to engage volunteers.
Project Focus Areas: We will prioritize projects that align with one of the following areas:
- Healthy eating, active lifestyles and/or healthy environments
- Social determinants of health/health equity
- Covid-19 relief and recovery
- Racial equity and justice
Deadlines and Key Planning Dates: Applications are due by April 30th. All selected organizations will be notified by early June 2021 and will be asked to participate in a virtual kickoff in late June.
Please contact Brie Tangney ([email protected]) with any questions.
Service Week 2020
In 2020, we reinvented our 10th annual company-wide service event to respond to the twin crises of COVID-19 and the country’s reckoning on race, with an emphasis on employee education and engagement.
Rather than the traditional day of service, we expanded our Service Day into a week-long opportunity for employee volunteers to not only serve our communities, but also to learn more about systemic barriers to health equity and the solutions that can move us forward.
From September 21-25, 2020, nearly 2,800 Blue Cross employees volunteered in 65 virtual and in-person service projects and participated in educational sessions featuring leaders from not-for-profit, healthcare, and civic organizations focused on promoting health equity.
Service Day 2019
On September 20, 2019 during our ninth annual Service Day: One Community. One Blue., nearly 3,000 Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts associates volunteered to support 52 service projects across the Commonwealth. Together with our nonprofit partners we provided critical support to address community needs focused on healthy living.